MCFD Career Opportunities
350 5th St. SW | Mason City, IA 50401
T: 641.421.3640 | F: 641.421.2710
About Us - The Mason City Fire Department has served the citizens of Mason City for over 146 years. It is a career department with 44 uniformed fire fighters and one civilian employee. The Department operates with three battalions working 24 hour shifts that begin and end at 8:00 am. The Department also includes a Fire Prevention Bureau and an extensive training program—covering fire fighting, hazardous materials, technical rescues and emergency medical services.
The Department’s fire protection area covers approximately 29 square miles within the City’s limits and an additional 29 square miles of rural territory. The Department provides ALS ambulance services in north central Iowa within a service territory of approximately 750 square miles. Along with responses for fires, rescues and emergency medical services, the Department is the home base for the North Central Regional Emergency Response Commission’s Haz-Mat team which serves ten counties in north central Iowa. The Department responds to over 5,000 calls each year.
All new fire fighters are on probation for a period of one year. Extensive training is provided to all employees during this period and throughout their careers at the Mason City Fire Department.
- Candidates must be at least 18 years of age.
- Graduation from high school or GED from an accredited institution of higher learning.
- Must be certified as an EMT or Paramedic to apply.(Paramedic certification is preferred)
- Must be of good moral character. No felonies or crimes involving moral turpitude.
- Must have a valid Class D chauffeur’s OR CDL license by date of hire, and be in compliance with City Administrative Policies, including no drug or alcohol related driving offenses in past 60 months
- Must meet state required physical standards. Have uncorrected vision of 20/100—corrected to 20/20.Color vision consistent with occupational demands. Normal hearing in each ear.
- Must successfully pass written and physical ability testing, as well as post-offer physical (includes drug testing).
- Must pass an extensive background investigation which includes, but is not limited to, education, police, criminal, abuse registry, driving records and references.
- Must be able to speak, read and write the English language.
- Upon hiring must live within 10 miles of the Mason City corporate limits (within six months)
- Become a Certified Firefighter I (within one year); a Certified Firefighter II (within two years) and a Paramedic (within 3 years).
- All employees of the City of Mason City are required to verify eligibility to work in the United States.
- Starting pay $20.11/hr. - Paramedics $20.88/hr.
- College credit premium pay
- Paid vacation, sick leave and holidays
- Life and health insurance for employees and dependents
- Disability coverage
- Uniform allowance
- Continuous high quality training
- Retirement benefits under Iowa’s 411 system
- Compensatory time off accrual
How to Apply -
Please click our Human Resources link to learn more about the Firefighter EMT/Paramedic position.
Please complete an E-Notice form if you would like to be notified of any current job openings at the fire department. For all other job opportunities with the City of Mason City please CLICK HERE to be directed to the City's Employment Center.
Follow us on Facebook
Back to MCFD Home Page