Police Officer Recruitment
Currently Accepting Applications For Police Officers
About Us -
The Mason City Police Department has a full-time staff of 48 sworn officers. The department is organized into 3 Patrol Divisions, a Safe Neighborhoods Team, and a Criminal Investigations Division. As the largest law enforcement agency in our area, we play a leading role in the region including the regional Special Operations Group (SOG) and Regional Drug Task Force. Opportunities exist for periodic rotating special assignments to the various divisions mentioned above or as a School Resource Officer. Specialized training is available in many other skills. We are a progressive department that is willing to try new ideas and approaches.
Hiring Process –
All full-time Police Officer vacancies are filled from a civil service hiring list. Applicants meeting the minimum qualifications and pass Civil Service testing this April will be placed on our hiring list. Those on the list are interviewed, evaluated and subjected to additional testing procedures before any hiring decisions are made. Following appointment to the position the new Police Officer will be enrolled in a fifteen week training school at the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy.
Minimum Requirements include –
- US Citizen and 21 years of age or older at time of hire.
- Associates degree OR 65 semester credit hours in a related field OR 4 years active duty service in the Armed forces, National Guard, or Army Reserve with honorable discharge OR 6 months experience as corrections or detention officer OR Iowa Certified Police Officer.
- Valid State driver's license and meet city’s driving record requirements.
- Not be addicted to drugs or alcohol (Chapter 400.17 of the Iowa Code).
- No felony convictions.
- No disqualifying misdemeanors within the last seven years.
- Meet the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy (ILEA) physical and vision requirements.
- Non-certified officers must pass the written POST test and ILEA required physical fitness test.
- If offered a position will be required to pass a post-offer physical, drug test, polygraph, and psychological evaluation prior to appointment.
- Starting pay $26.07 per hour. Additional pay for Iowa certified officers.
- Paid vacation, sick leave and holidays
- Life, health and dental insurance for employees and dependents
- Flex and dependent care benefit plans
- MFPRSI retirement benefits and 457b plan
How to Apply –
- Submit an employment application and optional resume by June 19th, 2020
2. Take and pass the state required POST test on July 11th
3. Take and pass ILEA required physical agility test on July 11th
To view the full Police Officer job description click here.
Applications will be accepted until 4:30pm, June 19, 2020
Equal Opportunity Employer