History of Highland Park Golf Course and the Legion Community
February 1925 - Committee investigates possible sites for a golf course. American Legion was the driving force.
May 1925 - Legion Community Golf Course chose (current front nine) location over a dozen other sites.
May 18, 1925 - Architect maps out 9 hole course and presents possible idea for 3 more holes for a 12 hole course.
June 1925 - "The Legion Community Golf Course" opens for play, sand greens at the time.
June 1929 - Course is revised to be an 18 hole course, four more holes were added to existing 12 holes and holes #13 & #14 were replayed to make 18 holes.
1937 - Course reverts to a 9 hole course, (current front nine).
December 1956 - Mason City Council purchases the Legion Community Golf Course for $45,000.
1957 - Course is now named Highland Park Golf Course.
1959 - First full year of revised revised front nine with new grass greens.
1965 - Back 9 holes open with revised greens. Front nine consists of 2960 yards and back nine of 3250 for a par 72.
1994 - New clubhouse built at Highland Park Golf Course (current club house).
*Summary is based on articles from Mason City Globe-Gazette Newspaper
If you have any questions or knowledge on the history of Highland please contact Nick Largent 641-423-9693.