About Us -
The Mason City Fire Department has served the citizens of Mason City for over 146 years. It is a career department with 44 uniformed Firefighters and one civilian employee. The Department operates with three battalions working 24 hour shifts that begin and end at 8:00 am. The Department also includes a Fire Prevention Bureau and an extensive training program--covering firefighting, hazardous materials, technical rescues and emergency medical services.
The Department’s fire protection area covers approximately 29 square miles within the City’s limits and an additional 29 square miles of rural territory. The Department provides ALS ambulance services in north central Iowa within a service territory of approximately 750 square miles. Along with responses for fires, rescues and emergency medical services, the Department is the home base for the North Central Regional Emergency Response Commission’s Haz-Mat team which serves ten counties in north central Iowa. The Department responds to over 5,000 calls each year.
All new fire fighters are on probation for a period of one year. Extensive training is provided to all employees during this period and throughout their careers at the Mason City Fire Department.
Hiring Process -
All full-time Firefighter-EMT/Paramedic vacancies are filled from a civil service hiring list. Applicants meeting the minimum qualifications and pass the Civil Service testing will be placed on our hiring list. Those on the list are interviewed and evaluated before any hiring decisions are made. Following appointment to the position the new Firefighter-EMI/Paramedic will be provided intensive training in Firefighter-EMT skills sets.
- Candidates must be at least 18 years of age.
- Graduation from high school or GED from an accredited institution of higher learning.
- Must be certified as an EMT or Paramedic to apply.(Paramedic certification is preferred)
- No felony convictions.
- Must successfully pass written and physical ability testing on April 18th, 2020, as well as post-offer physical (includes drug testing).
- Upon hiring must live within 10 miles of the Mason City corporate limits (within six months)
- Become a Certified Firefighter I (within one year); a Certified Firefighter II (within two years) and a Paramedic (within 3 years).
- Starting pay $20.11 per hour/ Paramedics $20.88 per hour
- College credit premium pay
- Paid vacation, sick leave and holidays
- Life and health insurance for employees and dependents
- Disability coverage
- Uniform allowance
- Continuous high quality training
- Retirement benefits under Iowa’s 411 system
- Compensatory time off accrual
Apply by one of the following ways -
To view the full Firefighter-EMT/Paramedic job description click here.
Test date is scheduled for Saturday, April 18th, 2020. (No alternative or makeup dates)
Applications will be accepted until 4:30pm, April 10th, 2020
Equal Opportunity Employer